EPISODE 15 – Legislation and the Future of the Tattoo Industry With Mario Barth.
Our INK-Credible guest today is Mario Barth, world-renowned celebrity tattoo artist and owner of Starlight Tattoo, a studio based in three different locations around the US. He is also the owner of King Ink in Foxwoods, Connecticut; Mario Bath Tattoo in Graz, Austria; and founder of the internationally loved INTENZE ink products. Mario has been at the cutting edge of innovation in the tattoo industry, being one of the first to introduce a 19-color ink set to the market, the first to establish an official global supplier network for tattoo ink as well as a tattoo artist sponsorship program. He has no shortage of accolades either, with 200 international awards and an impressive list of celebrity clientele, including Lenny Kravitz and Jason Kidd. In his recent years he has been a part of the Coalition for Tattoo Safety (CTS), an organization that brings the tattooing industry together under a unified voice. In this conversation we dig into the issue of legislation and the different ways in which it poses a threat to our industry, and we talk about what can be done to prevent it. Don’t miss out on hearing from one of the most influential people in the history of tattooing!
Key points from this episode
- The problem with regulations that are made by people who do not understand the industry.
- Why it is important to fight implemented guidelines before they become laws.
- The need for industry members to start communicating with one another and with lawmakers.
- Other aspects – apart from the ink – that are relevant to safety regulations.
- The role of CTS in facilitating the communication and education within groups in the permanent makeup industry.
- Counterfeit products and the need for industry members to value and respect innovation.
- The void that was created by the lack information exchange between experienced artists and newcomers.
- Ink colors and machinery: the aspects of the industry that are currently being investigated.
- The possible role of under-the-radar microneedling in the decisions of the FDA.
- Why tattoo artists need to accept permanent makeup artists and the opportunity for them to learn from one another.
- How laser removal impacts the tattoo industry.
- Why the cosmetics industry might soon be new competition for pigment manufacturers.
- The consequences of a reduced percentage of pigment and its effect on durability.
- What artists can practically do to help prevent legislation that will be detrimental to the industry.
And much more!
Links mentioned in this episode
Starlight Tattoo — http://www.starlighttattoo.com/index.php
King Ink — https://www.mariobarthtattoo.com/king-ink
INTENZE — https://www.intenzetattooink.com/
Lenny Kravitz — http://www.lennykravitz.com/
Jason Kidd — http://www.jasonkidd.com/
Wu Tang Clang — https://wutangclan.com/
My Chemical Romance — https://mychemicalromance.warnerbrosrecords.com/
Nikki Sixx — https://twitter.com/NikkiSixx?ref_src
Mötley Crüe — https://twitter.com/MotleyCrue?ref_src
Wendy Williams — https://www.wendyshow.com/
NFL Giants — https://www.giants.com/
Inked Out Festival — https://upcomingnewjersey.com/event/inked-out-nj-tattoo-convention/
Coalition for Tattoo Safety — https://coalitionfortattoosafety.org/
APP — https://www.safepiercing.org/
The Las Vegas Tattoo and Trade
Show — https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-las-vegas-tattoo-and-trade-show-tickets-57460733601
SPCP — https://www.spcp.org/
L’Oréal — https://www.loreal.com/