EPISODE 4 – Setting High Standards and Practicing Accountability As An Artist, With Zoe Hughes.
Welcome back to another episode of Valerie Weber’s INK-Credible Podcast. Today on the show we are joined by Permanent makeup artist, Zoe Hughes, from Timeless Tattoo in South Wales. Zoe and her husband co-own the studio together, where they have a couple of apprentices and full-time body artists, with Zoe being the only permanent makeup artist. She is mom to a five-year-old and wife to a tattooer of 16-years, who is well-known in the industry for his clean and consistent work. Zoe says that her husband is the reason for her meticulous work and it is definitely her inspiration for creating her own personal style. She prefers her style to be able to be picked out of a lineup! Zoe has created her own artistic eyebrows and her own artistic permanent makeup. In today’s episode, she’s going to share with us her journey in permanent makeup and what it was like to apprentice under her husband. We also hear from Zoe about her insights into the tattoo industry needs, why they value a balance between disposable and recycled supplies, and Zoe’s strategy for keeping her reputation as an artist intact. For an incredibly insightful conversation, don’t miss out on today’s episode!
Key points from this episode
- Why Zoe believes that permanent makeup should be done at a tattoo studio.
- The cultural changes in the permanent makeup industry.
- Importance of knowing the source of your materials.
- Understanding the importance of knowing how to properly sanitize your work tools.
- Why Zoe and her team have decided to use autoclaving.
- Recognizing the different regulations around client numbing.
- The healing process is not a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Why needle theory should be part of everybody’s training.
- Zoe’s selective process for vetting and choosing apprentices.
- Focusing on the now; taking one task and doing it really well.
- Following strict teaching principles to process your clients and yourself.
And much more!
“There’s just so many things that come into our job. It’s not just this person’s going to lie down and you’re going to tattooed them. You’re almost a therapist, a pain coach, everything.” — Zoe Hughes [0:14:17]
“I think as long as you’re doing your best, being responsible, staying educated and trying to make somebody proud — even if that person is just yourself — then you’re not going to go too far wrong.” — Zoe Hughes [0:31:11]
Links mentioned in this episode
Zoe Hughes — instagram.com/zoehughes_pmu/
Timeless Tattoo — instagram.com/timelesstattoouk/